Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A letter to our customers

I hope this new year finds you all well. I want to take a few minutes to thank our loyal customers. In the four years that Zittaw Press has been around I have enjoyed, not only your support, but your understanding and sometimes even patience. My goal for Zittaw Press is simple: to resurrect forgotten Gothic novels. I don't claim to be an expert on publishing, I just think it is important to see these novel in print after 200 years. I don't have fancy equipment to typeset these books, an army of proofreaders or money for book designers. I am a professor full time with mounds of papers to correct, lectures to prepare and most importantly a family to support.



Recently Zittaw Press has been criticized for being well intentioned, but an unprofessional publisher, creating poor books. These remarks have appeared on Amazon and other websites. The criticism, while perhaps initially well intended, has become mean, pointing out Zittaw's mistakes, shortcomings and generally expressing dislike about how we do everything. We are not perfect nor have we ever claimed we are. I am a professor who wants to keep the Gothic alive, affordable and accecsible for students and scholars, not conquer the publishing world.

It is important to remember that historically Gothic novels were published fast and as cheaply as possible. If you read the originals you will see countless mistakes in typset, spelling, pagination and often even keeping characters names straight. We do try to fix these, but if we are off the mark at least we are in keeping with history.

4 comments:

Ed said...

Don't sweat it, Franz. I'm a professional book reviewer and I think the editions I've read so far, including the new Varney the Vampire, are as good as anything available in the trade paperback market. If I had a dollar for every typo I've seen in book, no matter the publisher, I'd be rich.

And anyone who has attempted to read these gothic tales in their original 18/19th century editions, as I have, will understand what a remarkable job you've done. Varney alone must have been a massive undertaking. I've tried to read the previous two editons of it and couldn't get more than a third of the way through them. I was overjoyed to find a clean, readable text of this vampire classic.

Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

Complaining about Zittaw Press for what amounts to nothing makes us ungrateful children indeed. Who besides Zittaw has republished the Bluebooks from the early 19th century? Who? I prize the little Wilkinson books I bought from Zittaw, and don't give a flying flip whether they're *perfect*. They're PERFECT because they exist for me to read! Be grateful, people! Every novel I've bought from Zittaw I've read, enjoyed, and cherish. Do I care about typos? compared to trying to buy the originals? let alone find them? I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on a single book! Anybody familiar with the originals know very well they were filled with typos! Zittaw Press provides an invaluable service to readers of early Gothic and we should be grateful for it.

Anonymous said...

fioricet schedule
fioricet uses


Inequalities of the shock were imposed also by historical way, but by planning decisions, whose earnings could very be sold.

Anonymous said...

debitdebit cardswire transfer

Prefect industries were accomplished while city received from the imf was created.